Here are the Steps to Add Google Analytics to Shopify Store
How to Install & Setup Google Analytics for Shopify Website
1. Sign up with a Google Account : Visit Google Analytics. You’ll see a screen as shown below. Sign in using your Google Account, that you use to access Gmail, YouTube, Google Drive and other Google services. If you don’t have an account, you need to create a google account and then sign in.
2. Sign up for Google Analytics : After you sign into your Google Account, you’ll be taken to the following page where you can sign up for Google Analytics by clicking Sign Up button.
3. Add Shopify Website information : On the next page, you need to select whether you’re setting up Google Analytics for a website or a mobile app. Choose Website option in the form. Also, you need to provide information about your Shopify Store such as website name & URL.
If you’re setting up Google Analytics for the first time, you also need to provide account name (Google Analytics profile name for your Shopify website), reporting country & timezone. You’ll also see a set of data sharing checkboxes which you can leave as default.
4. Get Google Analytics Tracking Code : After you fill the form, click Get Tracking ID to generate the Google Analytics Tracking Code for your Shopify website. You’ll see a popup with Google Analytics Terms & Conditions, which you need to agree by clicking I Agree button.
5. Copy Google Analytics Tracking Code : Once you agree to the terms & conditions, you’ll be taken to a page where you’ll be provided the Google Analytics Tracking for your Shopify Store. It’s an HTML code that you need to copy & paste in your Shopify Store’s Settings. You can copy it by pressing Ctrl+C on PC and Command+C on Mac.
6. Add Google Analytics Tracking Code to Shopify : Open Shopify Store Admin in a new browser window or tab. On your Shopify Admin page, click Online Store, and then click Preferences. Paste the copied tracking code in the textbox titled Google Analytics Account.
7. Remove Password Protection : Ensure you remove password protection for your Shopify Store else Google Analytics won’t be able to track visitors. So Google Analytics can be installed only on Shopify stores that are publicly accessible.
8. View Google Analytics Dashboard : After you add Google Analytics to Shopify Store, please allow 24-48 hours for Google Analytics to collect and analyze your site traffic data. Now, when you log into Google analytics, you’ll be taken to the Google Analytics Dashboard that shows website traffic data for your Shopify Store.
You can do a lot of cool stuff with Google Analytics such as track sign ups, sales, clicks by setting up Google Analytics Goals for your website. You can also track custom events by setting up event tracking in Google Analytics or adding custom dimensions for Google Analytics.
1. When you set up Google Analytics for Shopify Website, use your own Google Account. Don’t allow others such as Web developers, SEO, web hosts, web designers, etc. to use their Google Account. Each Google analytics account is tied to a Google Account. So if you decide to part ways, they may walk away with all the data and you’ll have to start from scratch.
2. How to verify if your Google Analytics is working ? After you log into Google Analytics, click on Admin button at the bottom left corner of your screen. This will take you to the Admin page. Click Tracking Code under Tracking Info Menu.
You’ll be taken to a page which will display the Status as Receiving traffic for past 48 hours
3. You can always get back the tracking code for your Shopify website from Google Analytics Admin. As mentioned above in Tip #2, go to Tracking Code section of Google Analytics Admin and you’ll find your tracking code under Website Tracking Section