Call extensions allow you to display phone numbers in your Google Adwords Ads, improving their Ad quality and increasing clickthrough rates. Here’s how to add call extensions to Google Adwords Ads.
What are Call Extensions in Adwords
Call extensions allow you to display phone numbers in your Google Ads that people can use to reach your business. They appear as phone numbers in desktop ads and as phone icon in your mobile ads. Mobile users can tap on it to directly call your business. Call extensions make it very easy for prospective customers to contact your business. They improve overall Ad quality and clickthrough rates. You are not charged for adding call extensions but you will be charged for their clicks. Here’s an example of call extensions in Adwords on mobile devices.
Here’s an example of call extensions on desktop Ads
Bonus Read : How to Add Structured Snippets in Adwords
How to Add Call Extensions to Google Adwords Ads
Here are the steps to add call extensions to Google Adwords Ads. Please note, since Google frequently changes the user interface of Google Adwords, some of the following steps might be different for you. Nevertheless, the overall approach remains the same.
1. Go to Ad Extensions tab in your Google Adwords account.
2. Select Call Extensions in View Menu.
Bonus Read : How to Add Callout Extensions in Google Ads
3. Click ‘+ Extension‘ button
4. Select your campaign and click +New Phone Number
Bonus Read : How to Add Location Extensions in Google Ads
5. You will see a form to configure Call extension
6. Select Country where your Phone number is based, and then enter your phone number. There are 2 ways to setup your phone number – with a Google forwarding phone number or using your own call tracking number. If you don’t have a call tracking number it is best to opt for Google forwarding number. In this case, when users click your call extension, they will be sent to Google’s forwarding number and then the call will be automatically forwarded to your business contact number. This allows Google to track calls and do call reporting, which you can analyze via Adwords dashboard.
7. If you want call extension to be displayed only in Mobile devices, click the checkbox for Device preferences.
8. If you want the Call extension to be displayed between specific dates, expand start/end scheduling tab and enter start & end dates & time when you want the Call extension to be shown. This is useful for a time-bound promotion.
9. You will even see a form where you can choose to display your phone number alongside your Ad as described above, or display only the phone number in Ad title, as call only ad. Here’s an example of what a call only Ad looks like.
10. Click Save to create your Call extension.
Hopefully, now you can easily add Call extensions to Google Adwords Ads.