An well-planned Email Marketing Strategy enables you to effectively reach your target audience, personalize your message and engage with them meaningfully. Here are 5 Email Marketing Strategy & Tactics that you can use to improve your email marketing campaign strategy.
Email Marketing Strategy & Tactics
Here are email marketing strategies that you can use as an email marketing strategy template for your own campaigns.
1. Send Personalized Emails
People get so many emails every day. How do you make your marketing emails stand out? The trick is to personalize every aspect of your marketing email, as much as possible. Here are some ways to personalize your emails.
First of all, address the email recipient by their name. Not “Hi There”, but “Hi Sam” or “Hello Sam”. Most email marketing software and services provide this feature to automatically insert recipient’s name in your email templates, out-of-the-box. This alone will increase your email click-through rate and improve your email marketing campaign performance.
You can also add reader’s name in email subject line. This will increase your email open rates. According to Marketing Land, personalized email subject lines are 16% more likely to be opened than the ones without.
Here are some more ways to personalize your marketing emails:
- Capture the right information : In order to be able to send personalized emails, you need to have additional information about your subscribers, such as subscriber name, company and location. Without this data, you’ll be unable to personalize your marketing emails
- Use a real reply-to email address : Include a real reply-to email address such as firstname.lastname@example.org instead of email@example.com. It’s even better to use a person’s real email address such as firstname.lastname@example.org. It establishes authenticity and tells the reader that you value your subscribers.
- Use real from email address: Similarly, use a real ‘from email address’. When people receive emails from company email addresses such as email@example.com they assume that it must be a promotional or a marketing email, and simply ignore or delete it.
- Use a real email signature : Also, use real contact details in your email signature – name, phone number, social media handles. Don’t use a generic name like “XYZ Support Team” in your email signature. Use your actual name & phone number instead. You may include links to company social media pages. But also include at least one personal social media handle like Twitter or LinkedIn.
Increase your sales our list of Best Sales Follow Up Emails. Also, check out our list of Best Introductory Sales Email templates to get more responses. You can also read how to do mail merge in Outlook, to send personalized bulk emails to large number of recipients.
2. Segment your email list
Do you send the same email to every subscriber in your email newsletter list? Imagine your subscribers getting an email for an event to be held in London next week, when they’re actually based in New York.
It’s important to target the right audience with your marketing emails and segmentation is the key to sending the right email messages to the right audience.
According to a study by HubSpot, email list segmentation can boost your email open rates, increase revenue, leads, transactions and get you more customers. Here’s the study result
You can use your CRM software or email marketing platforms to easily segment your contact list.
If you send emails to business users, you can segment your email list based on their industry, company size, or sales cycle. For example, people working in automobile industry would be interested in getting news about the latest models of Ferrari or Porsche, compared to those who work in Telecom.
Similarly, if you send emails to consumers, you can segment your list based on age, gender, location, interests and even actions such as purchasing a specific category of products (e.g perfumes).
Again, the results of email list segmentation depends on the information you have obtained when they sign up for your newsletter, and the relevance of your email message. So make sure you capture all the required information when they sign up.
Check out our list of 5 Best MailChimp Alternatives that you can use in your own email marketing campaigns.
3. Send mobile-ready emails
54% of people use mobile to read emails. If your marketing emails are not responsive, or at least mobile aware, then it’s very likely that your subscribers will delete them and hit the unsubscribe button.
According to Yesmail, marketers use of mobile-friendly strategies such as adaptive landing pages, responsive designs and path-to-purchase optimization have increased mobile email conversion rate by 70% year on year.
Here are some ways to optimize your marketing emails for mobile:
- Use Responsive Design: Ensure that your emails look great on all devices. Most email marketing software and services provide responsive email templates that are professionally-designed and beautiful. Also there are plenty of websites where you can find free HTML Responsive Email Templates that you can use with your email client or email marketing platform.
- Use subject line & pre-header to your advantage: Use a short subject line so that it is not truncated by your reader’s mobile email client. Also, provide a short pre-header (called snippet text) for your email so that your subscribers know what your email is about.
- Make your CTA button obvious : CTA links and buttons that are obviously visible on desktop and tablets may get shrunk on smaller mobile devices. So ensure that your CTA buttons & links are big, bold and easy to click.
4. Test Your Email Copy, Design & Buttons
The best way to quickly optimize your email marketing strategy plan is to test every aspect of your email marketing campaign and refine your email marketing strategy based on campaign performance. Whether it is your home page, landing page or email template, constant testing is the best way to move forward.
Even US President Obama tested his email subject lines to optimize campaign donations during 2012 Presidential Elections.
Most email marketing software and platforms allow you to create variations of your email marketing campaigns and send them to different email list segments. They also provide robust email campaign analytics and reporting that allows you to monitor and analyze the performance of each variation, to understand what works.
In addition to email subject lines, you can also test the following to increase your email open rates and click-throughs
- HTML vs Plain Text emails: We’re all familiar with sending plain text emails. But have you tried using HTML emails instead? HTML email templates allow you to send rich emails with well-designed formatting and images.
- Long form vs Short Emails: Do your readers respond to a short email of a few lines or detailed long-form emails that are more descriptive. Short form emails are great for sending product updates whereas long-form emails give your more opportunity tell great success stories and case studies.
In fact, you can test anything in your email marketing that you feel may produce a difference, even the best time to send emails. According to a survey by Marketing Sherpa, here’s what most email marketers test in their emails
5. Automate email campaigns
Triggered emails are emails that are sent automatically based on user behavior or action. Most common examples of triggered emails are newsletter emails, welcome emails, activation emails, thank you emails, and transactional emails like order confirmation and receipts.
According Retargeting blog, triggered emails get 4x open rates compared to traditional emails.
Most email marketing tools and platforms allow you to create email automation workflows that automatically send triggered emails based on their action (e.g purchasing a product). You can even segment your email list on user behavior (e.g people who bought Nike shoes on your site, people who have created a new account) and create email campaign variation for each segment.
Here are some of the examples of triggered email marketing campaigns you try :
- Activation: If users sign up for your product but don’t use it, then you can automatically send an activation email that provides the steps to log in, and try out the most important feature of your product. You can also add a link to a video demo if available. Also, include links to support resources and knowledge base.
- Subscription Renewal: Let’s say an existing customer is approaching the end of his subscription cycle and hasn’t used your product much in the last few months. You can send him an automated email with new product features and future releases.
- Promotional offers for loyal users: If a user uses your product at least once a week for 6 months, you can reward such active customers by sending promotional offers such as coupon code, or gift card, via triggered email.
A well-targeted email marketing strategy plan can certainly increase open rates and click throughs, generate more leads and customers for your business. They key is to segment your email list based on the information you capture during sign up and create personalized email marketing campaigns for each segment that provides highly relevant & useful information. It’s equally important to test every aspect of your email marketing campaign, monitor email campaign performance and update your email marketing strategy accordingly.
Do you have any tips to improve email marketing strategy? Please feel free to share them as comments.