Lookalike Audiences are people that are similar to your existing Ad target audience in Google Ads. They are very useful in helping advertisers target new people who exhibit similar behavior, have similar characteristics & interests as their existing target audience.
What is Lookalike Audience in Google Adwords Ads
Lookalike Audience in Google Ads is like Facebook’s Similar Audiences but for Google Ad Network, YouTube Ads and GMail Ads. Based on the source remarketing audience of your specification, Google uses its algorithms to find new people who have similar interests/disinterests, demographics, behavior and characteristics. Advertisers can use this Lookalike list of audience to reach bigger audience.
How To Create Lookalike Audience in Google Ads
Here are the steps to create lookalike audience in Google Ads.
First, you need to create a Remarketing List in Adwords or Remarketing Audience in Google Analytics.
You can create Remarketing List in Adwords by clicking on red button at top left of Audience section of account shared library. You will see the following dropdown menu.
You can create remarketing audience in Google Analytics by selecting the property view in Admin tab, for which you want to create remarketing audience. Then click Audiences in Remarketing menu. Input required details and click Enable to create your audience.
Bonus Read : How to Create Dynamic Search Ads
How to Create Lookalike Audience in Google Ads
Here are the steps to create Lookalike audience in Google Adwords website.
1. Log into Google Adwords, go to Display Network
2. Click +Targeting on top left.
3. Select Relevant Ad Group.
4. Choose Interests & Remarketing in targeting section of the next page.
Bonus Read : How to Add Seller Ratings to Google Ads
5. Click Select Category to see dropdown menu with options. Google allows you to create lookalike audiences from 3 types of source audience list.
- Similar to remarketing lists – to be used if you are creating lookalike audience from retargeting pixel or remarketing lists built in Google Adwords/Google Analytics.
- Similar to video viewer lists – to be used if you are creating lookalike audience based on your YouTube videos’ audience
- Similar to customer email lists – to be used if you are creating lookalike audience based on GMail contact list. Display campaigns cannot target these audiences. They are available for Search ads, YouTube Ads and GMail Ads.
6. Google will automatically create lookalike audiences based on all eligible remarketing lists you have created, that can be applied to your Ad Group or Campaign. Select the audience you want to target, from the list.
Bonus Read : How to Create Call Only Ad
7. Choose either “Target and Bid” or “Bid Only” option and click Save.