SEM (Search Engine Marketing) is a quick and effective way to increase website traffic and boost conversions. If done properly, it can reap you lots of benefits, else it will burn a hole in your marketing budget. It is always good to adopt SEM best practices to ensure that you are not way off, and get good ROI for marketing ads. Here are 4 SEM Best Practices you must try to improve your SEM strategy.
4 SEM Best Practices You Must Try
Here are 4 SEM best practices you must try for your clients & customers. No matter what you do to improve your SEM strategy, use a marketing reporting tool to track your campaign performance.
1. Align your SEM strategy with campaign objectives
Make sure that your SEM strategy is ultimately helping accomplish your client’s campaign objectives. What do they want to achieve:
- Build brand awareness – Bid aggressively on brand, non-brand and competitor’s keywords. Non brand searches will most likely start a customer journey for you.
- Customer Acquisition – In this case, target keywords that describe your product and industry, because that is what people use to search for potential solutions and alternatives.
2. Target Keywords that align with your customer’s journey stage
Different People are in different stages of a customer’s journey and accordingly use different kinds of keywords online. So when you write an Adwords Ad, it is important to change your target keyword according to the customer’s search intent. Let’s look at the common keywords used in each stage of customer journey.
- Initiation – At this stage people are basically new to your field/industry and use keywords like “What is” and “Benefits of”
- Research – In this stage, people are researching different products and use keywords like “buying guide” and “model”
- Compare – During this stage, people are evaluating potential products and look for “reviews” and “features”
- Purchase – At this stage, people have decided they want to make a purchase but search for keywords like “where”, “offer”,”discount”,”coupon”, and “promo code”
- Support – Now your customer has bought a product/service and is looking for after sales support. So they will search for “customer support” and “customer service”
Using the right keyword is one of the most effective SEM ad copy best practices.
3. Expand your target market
Use different parameters to come up with richer buyer personas.
- Behavior – People’s present search is heavily influenced by their past browsing history. So analyze their activities across websites, content and search keywords
- Demographic – Also, people from different age, location, gender use different search terms to search the same product. For example, teenagers would search for “iphone 11” while a boomer would search for “latest apple mobile phone”. So when you write a google Text ad, change target keywords across different demographics.
- Context – People also search on the go, when they are triggered by a specific website they visited or content they consumed. So analyze where, when and how they search to get more insights into search context.
Have you faced a situation whereby, after you visit a website, you start seeing its ads on other websites that you visit. That is known as Ad Remarketing, one of the most powerful SEM best practices.
You may not be able to convert first-time visitors right away but since they clicked on your PPC ad, it means they are interested in what you have to offer.
So pursue them aggressively by remarketing your product/service to them on other websites they visit, so that they revisit your website and convert more often.
In fact, Google, Facebook as well as Bing Ads offer this feature, whereby they serve your ads to visitors who didn’t convert, when they are browsing other websites that also serve their ads.
Hopefully, the above-mentioned SEM best practices will help you attract more website visitors and improve Adwords conversion rates.
No matter which SEM best practices you adopt, it’s important to keep testing your Ads, measure performance and refine them over time.